Last month I went to the National Gallery of Art for the third day of painting Amnon and Tamar. By the end of the session I felt like the face was becoming less cartoonish, but I was having problems getting the eyes just right. Here is the video of the screen capture done from the first to the third day.
The essence of the face has been escaping me, so I decided to do a side-by-side with the actual painting to see what I’m doing wrong.
First, here is the progression of the face at the end of each session. The volume and features are starting to fill out. I noticed that I kept redrawing the nose which I believe is a result with the angle of the head, but I’m getting ahead of myself. The eyes, nose and mouth still need major work.
Above is a side-by-side comparison between the actual painting and my painting. Notice how the nose on mine looks like a crazy slope. After checking this out for some time, I decided to do some photoshop detective work.
Here’s what I discovered. I have been drawing her at the wrong angle. She looks about 20 degrees off. That’s what’s making me try to overcompensate for her nose, giving her a Bob Hope slope. Below is a split screen between the two images. You can see where things aren’t lining up.
Even though the face isn’t close to final and it’s tilt is dramatically off, I’m really happy that the proportions are pretty accurate to the actual painting. I’m hoping to get down to the gallery this weekend to do some more work and see if I can’t move on to more of the painting. More to come!